It’s what all the Mac users of Office 365 for business have been waiting for, an easier way to get Mac for Office.
Read this walk-through about how to license and download it from the new Office 365 subscription for Business.
Office for Apple Mac is now available for download from the new Office 365 Business subscription plans.
While I don’t have a Mac, I thought I’d walk through the steps to licensing and obtaining the software through the admin portal.
- A plan that includes a license for Office 365 Pro Plus: Office Small Business Premium, Mid Size Business and E3 plans, or as a separate Office Pro Plus subscription.
- A license assigned to the user who will be using Office for Mac
- Administrator permissions to the Office 365 admin portal. This will be used to access the “user software” section of the “service settings” admin page
- An Apple Mac (of course): Your Mac must meet minimum requirements detailed here to install Office for Mac (and Lync for Mac) and setup your desktop for connecting to Office 365 services. Requirements and instructions
- Log into https://portal.microsoftonline.com with your admin login for the new Office 365 (Wave 15) tenant.
- Select Users and Groups.
- Open your User and ensure Office Professional Plus is selected.
- While still in the Admin portal, select Service Settings
- Select User Software from the top menu
- Go to the section Software for Mac and expand Office for Mac and Download
- Distribute the MicrosoftOffice2011.dmg file in the manner of your choosing.
Installation instructions can be found HERE
Configuration instructions for making Office for Mac 2011 work with Office 365 can be found HERE
Thank you to Sean McNeil, Microsoft Office 365 expert and MVP from Catapult Systems, for walking through some of the changes in the new Office 365 admin portal at today’s O365 International User Group meeting.
Update: 8:55am 2 Mar GMT +12 – Sean’s recap and link a recording of the meeting are here